Re: Malachi 2:12 LXX

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 03 2000 - 07:21:44 EDT

At 6:16 PM -0500 6/2/00, Joseph Brian Tucker wrote:
>Shalom
>
>Malachi 2:12 LXX
>
>EXOLEQREUSEI KURIOS TON ANQRWPON TON POIOUNTA TAUTA hEWS KAI TAPEINWQHi EK
>SKHNWMATWN IAKWB KAI EK PROSAGONTWN QUSIAN TWi KURIWi PANTOKRATORI
>
>I would like some help in translating this verse. Here is one option, "The
>Lord will utterly destroy the man that does these things, until he be even
>cast down from out of the tabernacles of Jacob, and from among them that
>offer sacrifice to the Lord Almighty."
>
>How specifically should one handle: hEWS KAI TAPEINWQHi

I've corrected the spelling of the opening verb to read EXOLEQREUSEI (was
ELOLEQREUSEU).

The translation is essentially right, although archaic (we generally don't
refer to "tents" as "tabernacles" is our current idiom.

Yes, the problem is with the apparent extension of meaning of TAPEINOW,
which means essentially "bring low," "humble," or "humiliate," to construe
with two EK + genitive phrases so that TAPEINOW must come to bear the sense
of "drive in humiliation away" or "root out."

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu