RE: 1 Thess 4:16b, 17

From: Blahoslav Cicel (most@cb.cz)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 03:02:07 EDT

> 1 Thess 4:16b, 17:
> KAI OI NEKROI EN KRISTW ANASTHSONTAI PRWTON (17) EPEITA hHMEIS OI
> ZWNTES OI
> PERILEIPOMENOI, hAMA SUN AUTOIS hARPAGHSOMEQA EN NEFELAIS EIS
> APANTHSIN TOU KURIOU EIS
> AERA; KAI hOUTW PANTOTE SUN KURIW ESOMEQA.
>
> In some translations I find "hAMA" translated with "at the same
> time" and some with
> "together (with)".

hAMA may be both - at the same time - and/or - with -
there is hAMA SUN ... it sounds like redundancy

> That it is the hARPAGHSOMEQA that is to occur to OI NEKROI EN
> KRISTW and OI ZWNTES OI
> PERILEIPOMENOI at the same time, together.
> Or does the text permit understanding it differently?

I share your wiev, that hAMA is linked to OI NEKROI and OI ZWNTES. Pauls
concern is more the TOGETHER than the TIME of the happening. (This comes
clearer from the context:

v.13: But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them
which are asleep, that ye **sorrow** not,

v.15: that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall
not prevent them which are asleep.
)

> Regards, Mikael Persson

The same,