Romans 7:7-8

From: DEXROLL@aol.com
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 03:44:28 EDT

7.7 TI OUN EROUMEN hO NOMOS hAMARTIA; MH GENOITO: ALLA THN hAMARTIAN OUK EG
NWN EI MH DIA NOMOU: THN TE GAR EPIQUMIAN OUK HDEIN EI MH hO NOMOS ELEGEN, OU
K EPIQUMHSEIS.
7.8 AFORMHN DE LABOUSA H hAMARTIA DIA THS ENTOLHS KATEIRGASATO EN EMOI PASAN
EPIQUMIAN: CWRIS GAR NOMOU hAMARTIA NEKRA.

My name is David Rollins. I have never submitted a question to the list
before, so I hope that my transliteration is correct. I'm not sure of all
the conventions of spelling that you have adopted. My question is whether
you would find my rendering of the verses correct.
    OUK EGNWN ...sin had no way of starting to be known except through law.
I am taking the anarthrous NOMOU as a reference to law in general rather than
specifically the Mosaic Law. I realize many will probably disagree with that
conclusion, but that is where I have landed in this verse. I am taking the
aorist form as indication of the start of an action.
    OUK HDEIN... lust had no way of being fully understood except by an
explicit command. I am taking the pluperfect form to imply that there could
be no completion of the understanding in the past or present without an
explicit command. There are quite a few conclusions one could draw from this
rendering, but I'll see what you all think so far.