Re: speaking of lexicons (a Wee bit more)

From: Kevin W. Woodruff (cierpke@prodigy.net)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 13:48:44 EDT

In additon to what I posted previously, there is a good analytical lexicon
of the LXX done by Bernard Taylor and the standard concordance is by Hatch
and Redpath. The standard grammar of the LXX is by F. C. Conybeare and St.
George Stock is called _Grammar of Septuagint Greek_. It's been reprinted by
Hendrickson.

Kevin

Actually BAGD only has SOME of the LXX words (those that reoccur in the NT
and the Apostolic Fathers). The only real lexicon to the LXX is _A
Greek-English Lexicon of the Septuagint_, by J. Lust, E. Eynikel and K.
Hauspie published in two volumes (1992, 1996) by Deutsche Bibelgellschaft.
Most of us use this and supplement it with Liddel and Scott.

Kevin

At 08:17 AM 6/15/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>At 07:38 AM 6/15/00 -0600, you wrote:
>>There was recently some talk of lexicons on this list. Although I have
>>the Liddel & Scott Greek-English Lexicon, a Homeric Dictionary and some
>>other insignificant sources, I am now becoming absorbed in learning to
>>read Biblical Greek. I've become a little frustrated finding a suitable
>>lexicon. I have searched the Internet and have visited and talked with
>>some local booksellers. After reading some reviews I came across, "A
>>Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian
>>Literature" Frederick W. Danker (Editor), Walter Bauer
>>Is anyone familiar with this work? I am lost. Can anyone offer some
>>suggestions? And, what is available as a reference to the Septuagint? Any
>>suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
>
>I think nearly everyone who works on translating NT texts is familiar with
>this volume. It is the standard lexicon and should be owned by anyone
>working with the NT. It also includes words found in the LXX (since the LXX
>is considered a part of the early Christian movements "bible"- and hence
>"other early Christian Literature").
>
>Best,
>
>Jim
>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
>Survey data shows that 98% of Jews approved Janet Reno's retrieval of Elian
>Gonzalez. They know what it is like to be trapped in Miami with relatives.
>
>:)
>
>Jim West, ThD
>jwest@highland.net
>http://web.infoave.net/~jwest