[b-greek] Re: LXX help

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 07:32:04 EDT

<x-flowed>At 22:48 04/07/00, Mark Goodacre wrote:
>Lots of useful resources (including sources for English translation)
>are listed on Joel Kalvesmaki's LXX page at:
>
>http://arts-sciences.cua.edu/ecs/jdk/LXX/index.htm

My thanks fo Mark for this useful pointer.
On this site I found a link :
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/nets/discussion/oslo-presentation.html
to:
"Panel presentation of a new English translation of the Septuagint"
which has this introduction
>>he following presentation was given by Albert
        Pietersma to The Xth Congress of the International
        Organization for Septuagint and Cognate Studies,
        meeting in Oslo, Norway July 31-August 1, 1998. >>

In the course of this we read:
>>(3) some Greek words, when
     they are used rigidly as uniform renderings of the
     corresponding Hebrew words, fit poorly into some of the
     contexts in which they stand—these may be dubbed
     stereotypes (see e.g. "will" [THELHMA] for NRSV's "desire" in
     Ps 1:2);<<<

This puzzles me, because both the e-edition and the OUP printed edition of
the NRSV that i have read "delight" for QELHMA.

Of course, Pietersma's quotation could simply be a mistyping, but as he is
picking it out for special mention, I doubt it. Does this mean there is
more than one edition of the NRSV in circulation?

Regards
Maurice
Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie