[b-greek] Re: perfect PROISTHMI...

From: Roe (d.roe@t-online.de)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 09:40:30 EDT

Thanks Carl and Maurice,

My question sprung from the curiosity whether the context (vs 16
speaking of "social/congregational" security for widows) could have
suggested pension for retired elders -- those *having* lead well.

Carl wrote:

> PROESTHKA = I have come to be put in charge (of Y) = I AM in charge

This first definition, and the traditional translation for 1Tim 5:17,
struck me as requiring a passive voice, but I now see that a perfect
(PRO)hISTHMI does not even occur in passive...

BTW, my earlier attempts to access the Smyth grammar at the Somerville,
MA site had failed, and now I see at the Berlin site a diffenent
interface and the grammar being called "A Greek Grammar ***for
Colleges***"... and they don't yet have the 1956 Grammar available. Is
this "for Colleges" grammar the same grammar as that which was on the
Somerville site?

David

D.W. Roe
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany