[b-greek] Re: Matt 15:23

From: Mike Sangrey (mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 08:40:02 EDT

Clayton Stirling Bartholomew <c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net> said:
> My objection to APOLUW being used in the sense "release" from demon
> possession is not a matter of lexical semantics since Louw & Nida give
> the following:

> 37.127 APOLUW to release from control, to set free (highly generic
> meaning applicable to a wide variety of circumstances, including
> confinement, political domination, sin, sickness) ‹ Œto release, to
> set free.

> My objection is that it cannot be made to fit in this context. If the
> disciples are asking that the girl be released from her possession
> then they are not making any request at all in reference to the woman
> and the woman is the source of their grievance not the girl.

But it seems to me that is not her point of view: Mat. 15:22--

    GUNH ... EKEINWN EXELQOUSA EKRAZEN LEGOUSA, ELEHSON ME,...

KRAZW tells me she was considerably intense about this (that is, she
was significangly involved) and the accusative singluar EGW tells me
that from her perspective SHE was in great need.

Again in vs 25 we have EGW --
     hH DE ELQOUSA PROSEKUNEI AUTWi LEGOUSA, KURIE, BOHQEI MOI

Note her posture, too. She very much had entered into this as mothers
often do.

--
Mike Sangrey
mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us