[b-greek] Re: 1 Cor 9:12

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 21:41:41 EDT

At 9:09 PM -0400 7/7/00, Dmitriy Reznik wrote:
>Dear friends,
>
>I have a question about 1 Cor 9:12:
>EI ALLOI THS hUMWN EXOUSIAS METECOUSIN ...
>Does it mean "If others do partake of the authority over you ..." as in
>Young's or "If others have this right of support from you ..." as in NIV,
>and why?

The context makes it pretty clear that Paul is discussing the privilege of
an apostle as a husbandman or pastor to be supported by the congregation
served; I think therefore that "right of support from you" or
"authorization for your support" would be the right sense. It's true that
EXOUSIA can range widely and can indeed mean "authority," but in this
context, I think "authorization" = "rightful claim" has to be the right
sense.

7 TIS STRATEUETAI IDIOIS OYWNIOIS POTE? TIS FUTEUEI AMPELWNA KAI TON KARPON
AUTOU OUK ESQIEI? H TIS POIMAINEI POIMNHN KAI EK TOU GALAKTOS THS POIMNHS
OUK ESQIEI? 8 MH KATA ANQRWPON TAUTA LALW H KAI HO NOMOS TAUTA OU LEGEI? 9
EN GAR TWi MWUSEWS NOMWi GEGRAPTAI: OU KHMWSEIS BOUN ALOWNTA. MH TWN BOWN
MELEI TWi QEWi 10 H DI' hHMAS PANTWS LEGEI? DI' hHMAS GAR EGRAFH hOTI
OFEILEI EP' ELPIDI hO AROTRIWN AROTRIAN KAI hO ALOWN EP' ELPIDI TOU
METECEIN. 11 EI hHMEIS hUMIN TA PNEUMATIKA ESPEIRAMEN, MEGA EI hHMEIS hUMWN
TA SARKIKA QERISOMEN? 12 EI ALLOI THS hUMWN EXOUSIAS METECOUSIN, OU MALLON
hHMEIS? ALL' OUK ECRHSAMEQA THi EXOUSIAi TAUTHi, ALLA PANTA STEGOMEN, hINA
MH TINA EGKOPHN DWMEN TWi EUAGGELIWi TOU CRISTOU.