[b-greek] Re: Historical novels for NT culture

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 07:20:42 EDT

<x-html>
 --></style><title>Re: [b-greek] Historical novels for NT
&gt;I would be interested in knowing of interesting historical novels
that<br>
&gt;accurately and vividly portray New Testament culture,
architecture, and<br>
&gt;politics. Do such novels exist?<br>
culture, architecture, and politics.&quot; That's a TALL order
indeed. The first thing that came to my mind was the by-now classics
of my childhood, Lloyd Douglas' &quot;The Robe&quot; and &quot;The
Big Fisherman.&quot; There are, I think, quite a few well-written and
reasonably knowledgeable historical novels of the Republican and
early Imperial era of Roman history. Those interested might follow
the links at Mark Keith's site,<font color="#007700"> INDEX RERUM
CLASSICARUM: HISTORICAL FICTION:</font></div>
</x-tab>http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Styx/9585
which is unfortunate. She's written several historical mysteries
featuring one M. Didius Falco, a DELATOR (lit. &quot;informer&quot;
here equated with &quot;private eye&quot;) that are both amusing and
well-plotted and seem to me to be remarkably well-informed about the
Mediterranean World of their milieu, the era of Titus and Vespasian,
both of whom succeeded to imperial power following the success of the
taking of Jerusalem in the Jewish War of 66-70.</div>

Carl W. Conrad<br>
Department of Classics, Washington University<br>
Summer: 1647 Grindstaff Road/Burnsville, NC 28714/(828) 675-4243<br>
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad@ioa.com<br>
WWW: http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/>
</x-html>