[b-greek] question for profs

From: wcdjones (wcdjones@pilot.infi.net)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 05:42:28 EDT

Dear Greek friends,
I have a question for you, and I'm not sure how exactly you
can answer it in this forum, but I'll try anyway, due to my
anxieties. I have to take a Greek proficiency test tomorrow,
to determine whether I'll be permitted to enroll in a basic New
Testament course in seminary. I've learned Greek alone (with
a tutor), and I've finished a basic two-semester grammar. But
I have no idea how my level of Greek-reading compares with
other people's. Hence my anxieties.

How would any of you who routinely deal with students entering
New Testament courses that require Greek define an acceptable
level of Greek ability for starting out in NT? (Other than simply
saying that you must pass two semesters.)

(I will say that if I randomly choose verses from one NT book or
another, I can have anything from the experience of being able
to read the sentence outright and understand the grammar of
every word in it, to the experience of seeing a sentence that
is almost completely untangleable, and/or that half consists of words
I've never seen before in my life.)

If anyone thinks it might be kinder to respond to me off-list,
I'm all in favor of kindness at this point.

Connie Jones
Norfolk