[b-greek] Re: LXX

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2000 - 08:13:40 EDT

<x-flowed>At 10:37 15/07/00, N & RJ Hanscamp wrote:
>Can someone give me some dates for the writing and the completion of the LXX.
>Approximately when did the translation process take place:
>Approximately when was it finished:

Nigel:
Three points you have got to understand before even re-phrasing your
question, let alone getting an answer

1.The precise referent of the term Septuagint in modern discussions, and
especially of "the Septuagint" is neither consistent nor clear.

2.The word "Septuagint," (from Lat septuaginta = 70; hence the abbreviation
LXX) derives from a story that 72 (other ancient sources mention 70 or 5)
elders translated the Pentateuch into Greek; the term therefore applied
originally only to those five books. That story is now acknowledged to be
fictitious, yet the label persists by virtue of the tradition.

3.SEPTUAGINT. The most widely accepted designation for a diverse collection
of Greek literature encompassing: (1) translations of the contents of the
Hebrew Bible; (2) additions to some of its books; and (3) works written
originally in Greek (or in some instances in Hebrew) but not included in
the Hebrew canon.

These points are taken from the very first paragraph of the Anchor Bible
Dictionary extensive article on the LXX.

When you do re-phrase the question, that point about a "diverse collection
" might well be a suitable jumping off point.

Apart from the ABD article, I can recommend;
Swete, H.B. An Introdcution to the Old Testament in Greek. Peabody, Mass:
Hendrickson, 1989.

Alas, this is now listed as no longer being in stock, but I see that CBD
are still advertising it at: CBD Price: $7.95
Go get it would be my advice.

Regards

Maurice

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]