[b-greek] Re: antecedents

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 16:22:35 EDT

on 07/17/00 12:41 PM, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:

> on 07/17/00 11:37 AM, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:
>
>> on 07/17/00 10:49 AM, Rick H Duggin wrote:
>>
>>> Jeremiah 39:4 (LXX) warns that Zedekiah will not
>>> be saved out of the hand of the Chaldeans,
>>> hOTI PARADOSEI PARADOQHSETAI EIS CEIRAS
>>> BASILEWS BABULWNOS, KAI LALHSEI STOMA
>>> AUTOU PROS STOMA AUTOU, KAI hOI OFQALMOI
>>> AUTOU TOUS OFQALMOUS AUTOU OYONTAI.
>>>
>>> As I was reading this passage, I was a little uncertain
>>> about the pronoun/antecedent connection. I think the
>>> "he" in LALHSEI refers to Nebuchadnezzar, not to
>>> Zedekiah. Is this right?
>>
>> Rick,
>>
>> It looks to me like Zedekiah is the subject of LALHSEI and OYONTAI. Why?
>> Because Zedekiah is the center of the action in the first two verbs SWQHi
>> and PARADOSEI PARADOQHSETAI. I would suspect that he is still the center of
>> attention in LALHSEI and OYONTAI. I have not spent much time on this and
>> could be wrong about it.
>
> And I was wrong. If I had just read verse five I would not have gone the other
> way on this. Nebuchadnezzar is clearly the agent of EISELEUSETAI so I suspect
> that he is also the agent of LALHSEI, since both SWQHi and PARADOSEI
> PARADOQHSETAI present Zedekiah in a non-agent role. This is what some
> linguists call disableing a participant by linguistic means. Zedekiah is not
> acting but being acted upon here.
>
> Clay

I wish I had left this question alone.

I am not having a good day. While Nebuchadnezzar is probably the agent in
the MT Jer. 32:4 he is probably NOT the agent in Jer 39:4 LXX. So I am back
to my first post again. Zedekiah is the agent of LALHSEI.

This just shows that one should do some work before posting answers to
b-greek, unless one wants to reveal the entire process of ones trial and
error approach to things to the entire world.

Thanks for being patient folks. The oxygen level is a little low in Seattle
today so it takes a little longer to figure things out.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point