[b-greek] EDIKAIWQH (James 2:21)

From: Mark Wilson (emory2002@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 01:02:39 EDT

<x-flowed>
James 2:21

ABRAAM hO PATHR hHMWN OUK EX ERGWN EDIKAIWQH
ANENEGKAS ISAAK

My question concerns EDIKAIWQH ANENEGKAS.

If the participle ANENEGKAS is “Means,” then Abraham outwardly exhibited
(demonstrated) his faith by this overt act (work). I seem to recall hearing
once that the idea of EDIKAIWQH, as it is used here, denotes the
“demonstration of one’s righteousness.”

This question that expects an affirmative answer then would read something
like:

”Did not Abraham, our father, have his righteousness demonstrated by means
of offering…”

“Was not the righteousness of Abraham our father seen by his offering..”

Can EDIKAIWQH be understood in this sense?

Thank you,

Mark Wilson