[b-greek] Re: Participle/Finite Verb constituent order (again!)

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 21:23:53 EDT

on 07/19/00 5:39 PM, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> Clay, I really hate to give an answer like this because I know it's not
> very helpful and I know that it really needs to be substantiated by
> statistical research and analysis, but my "gut feeling" is that temporally
> antecedent circumstantial participles ('after first x'ing') do tend to
> precede the main verb which they complement adverbially, while
> circumstantial participles that follow directly upon the main verb tend to
> answer questions of HOW or WHY.

Carl,

Your "gut feeling" is based on decades and decades of reading which makes it
pretty reliable source. Assuming then that AGWN in

hEISEN AGWN, EN D' ARCOS EBH POLUMHTIS ODUSSEUS.1.311

follows the pattern you have specified then AGWN does not point to an action
prior to the verb hEISEN. But if a naive person (e.g. myself) read this not
knowing the "rules" for circumstantial participles he might be tempted to
think of AGWN as an action which led up to hEISEN. This is a rather minor
point but it caught my eye and that is why I asked the question.

Thanks again.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew