[b-greek] Re: Eph 5:18, EN PNEUMATI

From: B.J. Williamson (hellen_ic@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 00:16:22 EDT

<x-flowed>

Eph 5:18, EN PNEUMATI

>Am re-thinking whether the anarthrous construction here, coupled with
>the contextual PERIPATEITE EN AGAPNi (5:2), hWS TEKNA QWTOS
>PERIPATEITE (5:8) and PERIPATEITE ... hWS SOFOI (5:15), shouldn't
>be taken as an exhortation to be continually filled with spiritual
>matters,
>such as love, holiness, and wisdom.
>
>Thoughts?
>
>Paul Dixon

Paul:

I think the use of PLHROUSQE would preclude such an understanding. We are
admonished to "demonstrate" these qualities, but they are produced by the
Spirit.

For example, in Romans 5:5, the love of God is poured out DIA PNEUMATOS
hAGIOU.

I think one could argue for a contrast (or parallel) within this verse:

KAI MH MEQUSKESQE OINWi EN hWi ESTIN ASWTIA,
ALLA PLHROUSQE EN PNEUMATI

Being filled with (controlled by) OINOS produces ASWTIA
Being filled with (controlled by) the PNEUMA produces love, holines...

Respectfully,

B. J. Williamson