[b-greek] Re: Eph 5:18, EN PNEUMATI

From: CEP7@aol.com
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 14:10:25 EDT

In a message dated 7/21/00 9:25:15 AM, dixonps@juno.com writes:

<< Carl, taking EN PNEUMATI in Eph 5:18 indefinitely or qualitatively
does not deny the source or efficient cause of such, particularly
the promptings of the Holy Spirit.

My only concern here is the likelihood of what the text says and
means. It may be saying simply that we should be continually
filled with spiritual matters, such as love, holiness and wisdom.

This then would say nothing, as such, about the source,
but our understanding of other Scripture would lead us to understand
that it is the work of the Holy Spirit.

But, are we justified in reading that into the translation here?

Paul,

Three factors to consider here. How often does the dative PNEUMATI refer to
spiritual matters and how often does it refer to the Spirit? Second, what is
the use of EN. You seem to be understanding EN in terms of content. However
that is a very rare usage. The genitive of content would be more natural.
Third, would you understand Gal 5:16 in the same way? This would be difficult
because the flesh/Spirit antithesis in 5:16-25.

Charles Powell, Ph.D.
DTS
cep7@aol.com