[b-greek] Re: Definiteness of Anarthrous Nouns in Prepositional Phrases

From: Mike Sangrey (mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 09:52:24 EDT

Jay Adkins <JAdkins264@aol.com> said:
> While I cannot distinguish the number of definite nouns verses
> indefinite nouns, using Gramcord to search the use of a singular noun
> directly preceded by a preposition I had the following results.

> 1. with article: 2210 54.2%
> 2. w/o article: 1865 45.7%

> If you have enough spare time, I would be glad to send you the list of
> verses so that you may determine which are definite nouns. :-)

Just a quick note of two cents worth:

The definiteness (or not) of nouns is not just determined by coupling the
presence of the article with the lexical definiteness of the noun. One must
also determine whether the substantive is `focal' in the context.

See Levinsohn, "Discourse features of the Greek New Testament."
--
Mike Sangrey
mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us