[b-greek] re: Mark 6:7b

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 11:41:02 EDT

At 10:14 AM -0400 7/31/00, Jim West wrote:
>At 11:19 AM 7/31/00 -0230, you wrote:
>>Dear List Members:
>>
>>A question concerning translation. How would list members translate the
>>phrase in Mark 6:7b? I'm concerned principally about how to translate the
>>genitives following the accusative EXOUSIAN TWN PNEUMATWN TWN AKAQARTWN?
>>Would not a literal rendering be something like "he gave to them the
>>authority of unclean spirits?"
>>

>I take it as a genitive of separation- thus necessitating something like
>"power OVER unclean spirits".

A question of categories, perhaps. I'd agree that it's power "over" unclean
spirits, but I'd not understand this as ablatival but rather as a standard
adnominal genitive (of the so-called "objective" sort), EXOUSIA being
tantamount to a verb that would take TA PNEUMATA TA AKAQARTA as a genitive
direct object. Verbs of authority like ARCW, KRATEW, KURIEUW, and indeed
EXOUSIAZW, regularly take the genitive direct object. cf. Luke 22:25, 1 Cor
6:12, and 1 Cor 7:4 for instances of EXOUSIAZW with genitive direct object.