[b-greek] Re: Romans 8:8-9, was Discourse Analysis (computermodel)

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 17:09:37 EDT

on 08/04/00 11:30 AM, Eric Weiss wrote:

> I have tried TWICE to read Beekman and Callow and I always end up befuddled. I
> must have a mental block somewhere as far as DA is concerned. Hence, I have
> sought other books, though I told my teacher that I might try to read SSWC
> again.

Eric,

I don't have the book on hand but my recollection is that SSWC assumes more
background in linguistics and in particular SIL linguistics (e.g. K. Pike or
perhaps someone else) than Levinshon's book* which is supposed to be
readable by linguistic neophytes. However, the idea that Levinshon's book is
going to be transparently clear to those completely unfamiliar with the
discipline is somewhat wishful thinking. I ended up reading several books
listed in Levinshon's bibliography and I am still far from having a solid
grasp on what Levinshon is doing.

I guess what I am trying to say here is be patient. This is not a light
topic and it will take most of us a while to assimilate some of the central
concepts which are most useful to NT Greek exegesis. Beyond this I have no
intention of becoming an expert on DA. It is just another tool like textual
criticism or lexical semantics.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

*Levinsohn, Stephen Discourse Features of New Testament Greek, 2nd Ed.
 SIL 2000.