[b-greek] Re: Pragmatic Paragraphs (was:Roehampton or SIL Either/Or)

From: CWestf5155@aol.com
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 13:46:13 EDT

In a message dated 8/7/00 11:20:35 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
ButhFam@compuserve.com writes:

<<
 So I find I agree with Cindy in letting a text speak for itself, (looking
 for the criteria and allowing them to override sematnics if need be), and I
 agree with Stephen in that a paragraph is not 'syntactic' per se,
 yet practically I suspect that we all agree in studying and using
 linguistic criteria for the marking/be they semantic or 'surface
 structure'. >>

Randall,

Agreed. And I find Levinsohn's discussions enlightening and useful.

To some extent, I think that some of the differences are differences in
starting points of analysis.

Cindy Westfall\
PhD Student, Roehampton

P.S. In diffusing the molotov cocktail, did we avoid playing the game "Let's
you and him fight"?