[b-greek] 1 cor 15:23 and the words "during"

From: John Hibberd (john@hibberd.screaming.net)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 09:55:21 EDT

hn Hibberd, [b-greek] 1 cor 15:23 and the w
Hi all
berd, [b-greek] 1 cor 15:23 and the w

 all
berd, [b-greek] 1 cor 15:23 and the w
[List members please note: the focus of this question is the meaning of the phrase EN THi PAROUSIAi AUTOU in 1 Cor 15:23 and how that Greek phrase may be legitimately interpreted. Please do not make this an occasion for discussion of the NWT version or for defense of or attacks upon any particular faith-perspective. CWC, Co-chair, B-Greek]
@_ˆ

ist members please note: the focus of this question is the meaning of the phrase EN THi PAROUSIAi AUTOU in 1 Cor 15:23 and how that Greek phrase may be legitimately interpreted. Please do not make this an occasion for discussion of the NWT version or for defense of or attacks upon any particular faith-perspective. CWC, Co-chair, B-Greek]
@_ˆ
I am no greek scholar
te: the focus of this question is the meaning of the phrase EN THi PAROUSIAi AUTOU in 1 Cor 15:23 and how that Greek phrase may be legitimately interpreted. Please do not make this an occasion for discussion of the NWT version or for defense of or attacks upon any particular faith-perspective. CWC, Co-chair, B-Greek]
@_ˆ

am no greek scholar
te: the focus of this question is the meaning of the phrase EN THi PAROUSIAi AUTOU in 1 Cor 15:23 and how that Greek phrase may be legitimately interpreted. Please do not make this an occasion for discussion of the NWT version or for defense of or attacks upon any particular faith-perspective. CWC, Co-chair, B-Greek]
@_ˆ
I cor 15:23 is translated in the NWT as "afterward all those who belong to the Christ during his presence".
1 Cor 15:23 and how that Greek phrase may be legitimately interpreted. Please do not make this an occasion for discussion of the NWT version or for defense of or attacks upon any particular faith-perspective. CWC, Co-chair, B-Greek]
@_ˆ

cor 15:23 is translated in the NWT as "afterward all those who belong to the Christ during his presence".
1 Cor 15:23 and how that Greek phrase may be legitimately interpreted. Please do not make this an occasion for discussion of the NWT version or for defense of or attacks upon any particular faith-perspective. CWC, Co-chair, B-Greek]
@_ˆ
I have looked at other Bibles even the Emphatic Diaglott and they all
 to the Christ during his presence".
1 Cor 15:23 and how that Greek phrase may be legitimately interpreted. Please do not make this an occasion for discussion of the NWT version or for defense of or attacks upon any particular faith-perspective. CWC, Co-chair, B-Greek]
@_ˆ
say "appearing".I was speaking to some one else the other day and they wrote"
 Christ during his presence".
1 Cor 15:23 and how that Greek phrase may be legitimately interpreted. Please do not make this an occasion for discussion of the NWT version or for defense of or attacks upon any particular faith-perspective. CWC, Co-chair, B-Greek]
@_ˆ

y "appearing".I was speaking to some one else the other day and they wrote"
 Christ during his presence".
1 Cor 15:23 and how that Greek phrase may be legitimately interpreted. Please do not make this an occasion for discussion of the NWT version or for defense of or attacks upon any particular faith-perspective. CWC, Co-chair, B-Greek]
@_ˆ
"The NWT translation of EN TE PAROUSIA AUTOU at 1 Cor 15:23 is very unique and I have never been able to find any other version rendering the Greek EN as "during" here. The Greek EN literally means "in" but may also be rendered "at" and even "during". If you will come the exact same Greek phrase at 1 John 2:28 -- EN TE PAROUSIA AUTOU -- and note how the NWT/KIT handle it there =3D "in the presence of him" [KIT] and "at his presence" [NWT]. A similar phrase occurs at 1 Th 3:13 -- EN TE PAROUSIA TOU KYRIOU. [Also 1 Th 2:19.] I believe the Society wanted to support the position that the Parousia was something a generation long so they used "during." I wrote the Society about this without a response. I also asked a group of JW Greek linguists if they could support this use of "during" and they admitted they could not."

[...]

so what is right or believed to be the correct translation. Thank you =
ue and I have never been able to find any other version rendering the Greek EN as "during" here. The Greek EN literally means "in" but may also be rendered "at" and even "during". If you will come the exact same Greek phrase at 1 John 2:28 -- EN TE PAROUSIA AUTOU -- and note how the NWT/KIT handle it there =3D "in the presence of him" [KIT] and "at his presence" [NWT]. A similar phrase occurs at 1 Th 3:13 -- EN TE PAROUSIA TOU KYRIOU. [Also 1 Th 2:19.] I believe the Society wanted to support the position that the Parousia was something a generation long so they used "during." I wrote the Society about this without a response. I also asked a group of JW Greek linguists if they could support this use of "during" and they admitted they could not."

all in advance for your help.
 be the correct translation. Thank you =
ue and I have never been able to find any other version rendering the Greek EN as "during" here. The Greek EN literally means "in" but may also be rendered "at" and even "during". If you will come the exact same Greek phrase at 1 John 2:28 -- EN TE PAROUSIA AUTOU -- and note how the NWT/KIT handle it there =3D "in the presence of him" [KIT] and "at his presence" [NWT]. A similar phrase occurs at 1 Th 3:13 -- EN TE PAROUSIA TOU KYRIOU. [Also 1 Th 2:19.] I believe the Society wanted to support the position that the Parousia was something a generation long so they used "during." I wrote the Society about this without a response. I also asked a group of JW Greek linguists if they could support this use of "during" and they admitted they could not."

l in advance for your help.
 be the correct translation. Thank you =
ue and I have never been able to find any other version rendering the Greek EN as "during" here. The Greek EN literally means "in" but may also be rendered "at" and even "during". If you will come the exact same Greek phrase at 1 John 2:28 -- EN TE PAROUSIA AUTOU -- and note how the NWT/KIT handle it there =3D "in the presence of him" [KIT] and "at his presence" [NWT]. A similar phrase occurs at 1 Th 3:13 -- EN TE PAROUSIA TOU KYRIOU. [Also 1 Th 2:19.] I believe the Society wanted to support the position that the Parousia was something a generation long so they used "during." I wrote the Society about this without a response. I also asked a group of JW Greek linguists if they could support this use of "during" and they admitted they could not."

John Hibberd
 for your help.
 be the correct translation. Thank you =
ue and I have never been able to find any other version rendering the Greek EN as "during" here. The Greek EN literally means "in" but may also be rendered "at" and even "during". If you will come the exact same Greek phrase at 1 John 2:28 -- EN TE PAROUSIA AUTOU -- and note how the NWT/KIT handle it there =3D "in the presence of him" [KIT] and "at his presence" [NWT]. A similar phrase occurs at 1 Th 3:13 -- EN TE PAROUSIA TOU KYRIOU. [Also 1 Th 2:19.] I believe the Society wanted to support the position that the Parousia was something a generation long so they used "during." I wrote the Society about this without a response. I also asked a group of JW Greek linguists if they could support this use of "during" and they admitted they could not."

hn Hibberd
 for your help.
[...]

---
Hibberd
 for your help.
 be the correct translation. Thank you =
ue and I have never been able to find any other version rendering the Greek EN as "during" here. The Greek EN literally means "in" but may also be rendered "at" and even "during". If you will come the exact same Greek phrase at 1 John 2:28 -- EN TE PAROUSIA AUTOU -- and note how the NWT/KIT handle it there =3D "in the presence of him" [KIT] and "at his presence" [NWT]. A similar phrase occurs at 1 Th 3:13 -- EN TE PAROUSIA TOU KYRIOU. [Also 1 Th 2:19.] I believe the Society wanted to support the position that the Parousia was something a generation long so they used "during." I wrote the Society about this without a response. I also asked a group of JW Greek linguists if they could support this use of "during" and they admitted they could not."

nslation. Thank you =

=
[...]

unc.edu