[b-greek] Hermeneutics, 1 Tim. 2:12,and AUQENTEIN

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 10:55:42 EDT

<x-html>
 --></style><title>Hermeneutics, 1 Tim. 2:12,and
footnotes to 1 Timothy<br>
&gt;&gt;2:11-12 that the Greek can be translated alternatively as
&quot;I permit no wife<br>
&gt;&gt;to teach or have authority over her husband&quot;. For
reasons of context in 1<br>
&gt;&gt;Timothy 2 and the 1 Peter 3 parallel, this is far and away
the preferred<br>
&gt;&gt;translation.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;It is a possible reading of the verse, but the traditional
understanding of<br>
&gt;a church setting is far more likely. Paul does not have the
authority to<br>
&gt;forbid a wife to teach her husband. But that is what Paul would
be<br>
&gt;forbidding in 1 Tim 2:12 according to the above view. There are
many other<br>
&gt;contextual indicators opposed to the above translation.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</x-tab>Yours,</div>
</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</x-tab>Harold Holmyard<br>
B-Greek discussion over the years and the same stances toward its
&quot;proper&quot; interpretation have (more or less) been the same
ones, I'd like to repeat a portion of a comment that I wrote on one
of the more recent recurrences of the discussion, and then append a
comment on why we avoid discussion of hermeneutics on B-Greek.</div>