[b-greek] Re: Son of Man

From: George W. Young (gwyoung@morgan.ucs.mun.ca)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 07:25:49 EDT

> on 08/16/00 2:56 PM, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:

> I made some errors which should be corrected:
> The thing that struck me most about Fitzmyer was that there is more than a
> 20 year gap between this article in "A Wandering Aramean" and his
statements
> in "The Dead Sea Scrolls and Christian Origins" and he could still make
the
> statement "The titular use of "Son of Man," such as one finds for Jesus in
> the NT, is still without a parallel in the Qumran texts . . ."

Correct me if I'm wrong (very possible), but was not 1 Enoch discovered at
Qumran, along with many other apocalypses? (e.g., Apoc. of Abraham, Noah,
etc.) If I'm correct, then it worth pointing out that the titular use of
"Son of Man" in the sense of a heavenly person (not the symbolic figure of
the nation of Israel as in Dan. 7:13!), has (I think) NO titular parallel in
the Old Testament! (contrary to Fitzmyer), but it certainly does have a
titular parallel in 1 Enoch, Similitudes (chapters 37-71; ca. 105-54 BCE),
to say nothing of the other apocalypses.

George W. Young, PhD
Assistant Professor of Biblical Studies
Queen's College
St. John's, NF