[b-greek] PW~S in Epictetus

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Aug 20 2000 - 16:44:21 EDT

Encountered a use of PWS in reading *Levinskaya which I have not encountered
before in a citation from Epictetus**

TI hUPOKRINHi IDOUDAION WN hELLHN;
OUX hORAiS PW~S hEKASTOS LEGETAI IOUDAIOS,
PW~S SUROS, PW~S AIGUPTIOS;

This citation is perfectly simple to understand but it did raise some
questions about how PW~S might be used. I was not able to find any
enlightenment from the standard sources on this (LSJ, Smyth, BDF, BAGD). I
don't think this is a NT or LXX pattern of usage. Searched for multiple PW~S
strings and found only one in Jer. 31:39 which was not similar since each
PW~S introduced a new clause. I toyed with the idea that each PW~S in this
Epictetus** citation was introducing a new clause but that reading seemed to
be improbable since hEKASTOS seems to indicate a distribution across all
three groups. However if we read LEGETAI as an equative verb functioning
like EIMI then it is feasible that LEGETAI could be "elided" so to speak
after the second and third PW~S. But this still leaves some loose ends to be
tied up.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

*Levinskaya, Irina. The book of Acts in its diaspora setting, Eerdmans,
1996, page 119.

**Epictetus cited by Arrinanus, Dissertationes 2.9.19.