[b-greek] Re: John 15:8

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 07:14:40 EDT

At 6:06 PM -0700 8/20/00, Francisco Orozco wrote:
>In John 15:8 we have:
>
>EN TOUTW EDOXASQH O PATHR MOU
>INA KARPON POLUN FERHTE
>KAI GENHSQE EMOI MAQHTAI
>
>Q.1 - Are the two phrases joined by KAI correlative? That is, In this is
>glorified my Father (1) in that you bear much fruit and (2) [in that] you be
>my disciples? or is the second phrase *somehow built* upon the first phrase
>as NAU translates: "that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my
>disciples"?
>
>Q.2 - What is the import of the difference between GENHSQE
>(Nestle/Aland) )and GENHSESQE (Maj), that is, knowing that the first is
>subjunctive aorist and the second indicative future?

The major question has already been dealt with by Harold and Braulio; I
would add, regarding the second question, that the future-tense form
GENHSESQE is ungrammatical if KAI GENHSESQE EMOI MAQHTAI is understood as
part of the hINA clause (the subjunctive is required); yet if KAI
GENHSESQE EMOI MAQHTAI is the given text, it has to be understood as
independent of EN TOUTWi ... FERHTE, i.e. the whole reads: "Hereby is my
Father glorified, that you bear much fruit--and you will become my
disciples." That's awkward (and, I think, unlikely to be original) but it
is intelligible.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu