[b-greek] RE: PUR

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 12:10:56 EDT

At 5:57 PM +0200 8/23/00, Wieland Willker wrote:
>Thanks to all for the info!
>
>So, it appears that some say (Perseus) TO PUR is singular only and TA PURA
>is a different word and appears in the plural only. Does this make sense?
>As a third form we have hH PURA with the normal 1st declension (plural and
>singular).

Perhaps we're using the language differently. I would say that PUR is a
neuter noun most commonly used in the singular but that there is a
specialized sense of it in the plural TA PURA. On the other hand, hH PURA
is a different word and has a different meaning altogether, although
derivative from the same root as the neuter PUR.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu