[b-greek] Re: Meaning of PANTWN hUMWN in 1 Cor 14:18

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 13:42:10 EDT

At 11:17 AM -0400 8/24/00, CEP7@aol.com wrote:
>1 Cor 14:18 reads EUCARISTW TWi QEWi PANTWN hUMWN MALLON GLOSSAIS LALW. Does
>PANTWN hUMWN have a distributive sense such that it would mean "I speak in
>tongues more than any one of you?" Or would that require the singular PANTOS
>hUMWN or PANTOS SOU? Or does it mean, "I speak in tongues more than the whole
>of you" i.e., all of you put together?

I don't think this has anything to do whatsoever with Acts 2 but is
addressed to the Corinthian congregation which prides itself (or several
members do) for glossolalia. PANTWN hUMWN is standard genitive (ablatival,
if anyone asks) of comparison with MALLON: "I speak more than you people do
..." I don't see this as distributive at all; it is a rhetorical challenge
to what he sees as a whole congregation very proud of its accomplishments.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu