[b-greek] Re: PANTWN hUMWN in 1 Cor 14:18

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Fri Aug 25 2000 - 12:29:14 EDT

<x-flowed>At 15:41 25/08/00, Mark Wilson wrote:

>However, I do note that in 1 Cor 14, some Corinthians had manufactured
>their own "gift of tongues,"

You might like to note this comment in EDNT [ Balz, Horst, and Gerhard
Schneider. Eds. Exegetical Dictionary of the New Testament. 3 vols. Grand
Rapids: Eerdmans, 1990.]

<<<<<<<<
" ..... indicate that the technical usage of GLWSSA is derived from the
meaning _language_. The characterization of the gift as "speaking in
tongues" which is common in older translations and studies, is thus
inappropriate and misleading. The best translation is _language_ or the
verb phrase _speak languages_ or _speak in a language_ ; we may designate
the charisma _ the gift of language_ .

The gift of language is speech that is unintelligble ( 14:2; 16; 23 ) and
highly ecstatic
-- the NOUS does not participate but only the PNEUMA (vv. 17-19) .

>(ecstatics) but this false "tongues" is the subject of Paul's sharp
>rebuke. They were acting like children

No, he asked them would they not be regarded as" mad " (v, 23)
  MAINOMIA = be mad, be out of one's mind

Regards
Maurice

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]