[b-greek] Re: These two positions don't even seem close

From: Rolf Furuli (furuli@online.no)
Date: Mon Aug 28 2000 - 03:45:51 EDT

Dear Randall,

We have had many discussions regarding the meaning of the verbal categories
in Hebrew, and we disagree. The same is true with the Greek "tenses". We
should not rely on ad hominem arguments - what 90-99+(?) % of the teachers
believe. It is much better to argue on the basis of data rather than on the
basis of intuition.

Porter, Fanning, and Wallace have been mentioned in the discussion, but not
Mari Broman Olsen. The strength of her work, is that she uses a clearly
defined methodology and textual examples. When I read her book, my opinion
was that the aorist was a combination of past tense and the perfective
aspect. After using her methodology and working with the texts, I changed
my view to the point where I take the aorist to signal the perfective
aspect but not past tense.

My challenge to you and to others who appeal to intuition and the majority
view is: Read Mari's book, point out weaknesses in her methodology, and
give a linguistic explanation of her and Porter's examples of non-past
aorists.

Regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli