[b-greek] Re: A student's view of grammar, exegesis, linguistics,...

From: Wayne Leman (wleman@mcn.net)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 21:29:57 EDT

Mike, a few books approaching Greek from the viewpoint of modern linguistic
theory are starting to appear. As you may know, one of them is:

Linguistics For Students of New Testament Greek, by professor David Alan
Black (Baker, 2nd edition, 1995)

Clay isn't fond of this book, but it does tie the study of Greek to the
stuff of linguistics, and that's good.

I've seen one or two other similar books that take a linguistic approach to
the study of Greek. Right now I forget their titles and authors, but I think
I've seen some in seminary bookstores.

I believe that the SIL center in Dallas regularly has taught courses in NT
Greek. I'm sure they would be linguistically oriented since that is the
mindset of all the SIL personnel. You might want to skim the SIL website
book sections to see if they have any pedagogical materials available:

http://www.sil.org

And, Mike, when you become a Big Greek, you can, of course, write a better
book! :)

Wayne
a linguini and little g(r)eek myself
---
Wayne Leman
Bible translation discussion list:
http://www.egroups.com/group/bible-translation
Bible translation site: http://bibletranslation.lookscool.com/

> <climb on soapbox>
>
> First/Second year grammar should not set the student up for a fall

<snip>