[b-greek] Re: Teaching students to READ

From: Rodney J. Decker (rdecker@bbc.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 08:03:18 EDT

<x-flowed>At 11:38 AM 8/29/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I am now teaching Greek 101 (well, that's not the number they use, but you
>get the point) for the first time. We are working with A.K.M. Adam's

>What tools for reading do you have students use? (I haven't had them
>purchase an analytical lexicon or whatnot.)

And I hope you *never* have them buy an analytical! They will never learn
Greek with such a beast and you will be forever frustrated as a teacher if
you allow them to use one. *Do* require a lexicon. I start them on Newman
(realizing its limitations), but tell them that it is a "beginner's
dictionary" and that they will need to move to a "real" lexicon
asap--namely BAGD (whoops! make that BDAG). But since BDAG hasn't
materialized yet, I'm not requiring it at this point (though I will the
first semester that I can actually put my hands on a printed copy of it.)

(I've heard rumors--unconfirmed at this point--that the ship date for BDAG
has been pushed back to Jan '01. Anyone heard anything recently? Esp. those
of you who know Fred Danker?)

Rod

Rodney J. Decker, Th.D. Baptist Bible Seminary
Assoc. Prof./NT PO Box 800, Clarks Summit, PA 18411
rdecker@bbc.edu http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/
The *Resources for NT Study* site is accessible at:
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/rd_rsrc.htm