[b-greek] Re: Phil. 2.7 (first set of questions)

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 10:04:59 EDT

At 01:48 PM 8/30/00 +0000, you wrote:

>Phil. 2.7
>
>hEAUTON EKENWSEN MORFHN DOULOU LABWN
>EN hOMOIWMATI ANQRWPWN GENOMENOS
>KAI SCHMATI hEUREQEIS hWS ANQRWPOS
>
>Oepke states that there is an omitted object that needs to be supplied.
>Ruling out ETAPEINWSEN hEAUTON as the implied object (which creates a weak
>tautology), Oepke opts for TOU EINAI ISA QEWi.
>
>Since we are dealing with a person and not a quality or thing, KENOW seems
>to me to mean, "to disrobe or divest oneself temporarily."
>
>Which I guess would yield:
>
>"He disrobed himself of equality with God by taking on the semblance/form of
>a servant."
>
>Is this how one would supply the missing object?

well done! that is an excellent solution to the problem.

>Can KENOW be used in a Passive sense? In TDNT, pg. 661, I can not tell if
>the author is saying this or not, but he gives the following: pass. "to come
>to nothing."

that would really be "to be brought to nothing". "to come to nothing"
sounds active or at best middle.

>I am having a hard time even exploring this possibility with the hEAUTON
>present. Does this reflexive pronoun eliminate any passive possibilities?

eliminate? no, not really- but it does make the middle more likely.

>Or, would it be acceptable to translate this like:
>
>"by means of receiving the semblance/form of a servant, he was disrobed of
>equality with God."

no- because it isnt passive in form.

>Again, I have no idea what to do with hEAUTON if I take this as passive.

good-- then dont. because it isnt.

>Also, are the following translations possible?
>
>Taking LABWN as Purpose:
>
>"He disrobed himself of equality with God in order to take on the
>semblance/form of a servant."

nope. you are eisegeting here.

>or, Adverbially:
>
>"He disrobed himself of equality with God when he took on the semblance/form
>of a servant."

no- because the construction isnt adverbal. stick with your first attempt
above. it is the most cogent.

best,

Jim

"Do not ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by
incompetence" -Napoleon

Jim West, ThD
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest