[b-greek] Re: Greek shorthand?

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 06:40:50 EDT

At 4:52 AM +0000 8/31/00, Mark Wilson wrote:
>Acts 16:31
>
>PISTEUSON EPI TON KURION IHSOUN KAI SWQHSHi SU
>KAI hO OIKOS SOU
>
>Although a little too wordy for my liking, is the following “expanded
>rendition” of this verse conceptually close:
>
>“you (the jailer) must believe on the Lord Jesus and you (the jailer) will
>be saved,
>and your household members [must believe on the Lord Jesus and THEY shall be
>saved].”
>

>It seems that the final KAI hO OIKOS SOU is a shorthand way of repeating
>the same sentence, allowing for the substitution of subjects.
>
>Rather than having to restate the entire sentence, would this construction
>indicate that subject#2 (the jailer’s household) can be inserted where
>subject#1 (the jailer) is used?
>
>That’s the best I know how to word my question right now.
>
>Hope you understand my question better than I have asked it :o )

Well, the text you're writing about is less than lucid too! While I think
you're probably right about the intent, I don't see anything in the Greek
phrasing that would clearly indicate that the faith of the master of the
house does not save the entire household. I would be more inclined to
believe otherwise if the text we were given were phrased: PISTEUSON EPI TON
KURION IHSOUN SU KAI hO OIKOS SOU KAI SWQHSHi. That is to say, there may
have been intent to imply that the obligation to believe rests upon the
whole household, but as it is phrased, I don't think that can be assumed.

>By the way “Carl” how do these “quotation marks” look?

The same as always, I'm sorry to have to say; I think they're still high
ASCII--they read as blank character marks in the text on my screen.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu