[b-greek] Re: (somewhat long), Re: Mk 10:21

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 07:51:45 EDT

At 5:11 PM +0200 8/30/00, Rolf Furuli wrote:
>clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:
>

>>> Because the
>>> aspects are not different in every respect, both the perfective and the
>>> imperfective aspect can be used for the same event without any difference
>>> in meaning. Particularly can this be the case in connection with states,
>>> which by definition are situations which hold and continue to hold without
>>> any input of energy.
>>
>>No difference in meaning? Really? What a relief! That is just what I have
>>been wanting to hear. Did you guys (Cindy included) hear that? There is no
>>difference in meaning.
>

>Dear Clay,
>
>I am very busy with my Hebrew studies, so I do not plan to contribute much
>to b-greek at present, but I could not resist the temptation to defend the
>usefulness of aspectual studies. [etc., etc. ... the rest omitted]

I just want to take the opportunity to thank you, Rolf, for your patience
and kindness in offering even that much of an extended clarification of
your understanding of aspect and Aktionsart. I think you may very well be
right in asserting that Mari Olsen has formulated a more intelligible and
helpful model for understanding these matters than has either Porter or
Fanning has produced. I think the problem for many, perhaps most, certainly
for me, has been the old bugaboo that seems to infect all social
'sciences': the emergence/development of a jargon/gibberrish that seems
like one of the many different languages after the "confusion of tongues"
at Babel, with the result that we talk to each other without understand
what the other is saying to us. I think Rod Decker has done this in his
dissertation also--and he has made both an abstract and the whole thing
accessible at his web site in PDF format for whoever is interested. But to
most of this it all remains gibberish because we don't have any "clear and
distinct idea" just what the terminology intends. Your painstaking effort
here has really been helpful. So, thanks again ... till we have faces (I
just re-read the C.S. Lewis classic)--or tongues.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu