[b-greek] Re: I need a good English translate for greek word "MAKARIOS".

From: Jeffrey B. Gibson (jgibson000@home.com)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 11:56:54 EDT

A message just came to me off list from a B-Greek member who wonders
whether there are sources which might back up my claim that MAKARIOS
might best be translated (or at least originally had the connotation)
"honoured".

Assuming others on the List might also be wondering the same thing, let
me note that support for my contention can be found in Malina and
Rorbauch's _Social Science Commentary on the Synoptic
Gospels_ and J. Neyrey's _Honor and Shame in the Gospel of Matthew_.

Yours,

Jeffrey
--
Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)