[b-greek] Re: (somewhat long), Re: Mk 10:21

From: Wayne Leman (wleman@mcn.net)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 11:24:58 EDT

Whoops, in the revisions of my message to Dave, I missed correcting the
following sentence:

"Then, ever after, whenever they spot a
DE, they say that the discourse has now experienced contrastive
sequentiality."

It should read:

"Then, ever after, whenever they spot a
DE, they say that the discourse has now experienced narrative or argument
development."

> Dave,
>
> There are empirical tests that can be conducted that help determine what
> speakers (and hearers) regard as foregrounding and backgrounding. If we
can
> move study of classical languages toward some of the advantages that come
> from taking a more scientific view of language, we can often break out of
> the logical circularity that afflicts some discussion of communicative
> concepts like foregrounding, backgrounding, etc. By logical circularity I
am
> referring to the problem some discourse analysts have run into with their
> own work, where, with good intentions they feel they have identified some
> form of Greek, say, DE, to be "a developmental marker, in the sense that
the
> information it introduces builds on what has gone before and makes a
> distinct contribution to the argument ór narrative]" (Levinsohn, Discourse
> Features of NT Greek, 1992, p. 64). Then, ever after, whenever they spot a
> DE, they say that the discourse has now experienced contrastive
> sequentiality.

<snip>