[b-greek] Re: Rom.1:5: hUPAKOH PISTEWS

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 06:46:45 EDT

At 10:58 PM -0500 9/5/00, James S. Murray wrote:
>Carl,
>
>Does it matter in this case that the genitive and the head noun are both
>verbal
>ideas? This phrase strikes me as being very similar to another Pauline
>phrase; EX
>AKOHS PISTEWS in Gal. 3:2. It seems to me that the most straightforward
>way to
>understand this phrase is by "by hearing and believing" or "by believing
>what you
>heard" (NIV; NRSV), rather than by understanding it in terms of a
>subjective or
>objective genitive. Young has an interesting discussion of this under the
>heading of
>Compound Verbal Genitives in his Intermediate NT Greek.

The text (and I still wish people would repeat the text of a text that they
are referring to): TOUTO MONON QELW MAQEIN AF' hUMWN: EX ERGWN NOMOU TO
PNEUMA ELABETE H EX AKOHS PISTEWS?

Whatever one does with this, one has to recognize the parallelism of the
two prases, EX ERGWN NOMOU and EX AKOHS PISTEWS; I certainly wouldn't want
to understand EX ERGWN NOMOU to mean anything like "by doing works and
law." I would agree that AKOH here probably is synonymous with hUPAKOH in
Rom 1:5, but once again I don't think I'd want to view these combinations
as "subjective" or "objective" genitive but rather simply as adnominal
(adjectival genitives), and probably the most straightforward way of
conveying them in English is "as a result of works prescribed by Law or as
a result of obedience prescribed by Faith."

>Could Rom 1:5, then, be understood as " we have received grace and a
>commission, to
>lead/call people from all the nations to believe and obey?" I don't think
>this is at
>variance with what you wrote, though perhaps there is more connection or
>interplay
>between faith/believing and obeying here than I'm allowing for in my
>translation.

Yes, I think there is a much tighter link between the noun and the second
noun in the genitive dependent on the first. It is NOT, in my opinion, a
matter of two separate actions--believing and obeying--but rather of a kind
of believing that by nature involves obeying.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu