[b-greek] Re: Does anyone know of an introductory grammar thatdoes this?

From: Perry L. Stepp (stratfink@email.msn.com)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 10:33:45 EDT

Carl Conrad wrote:

> I even wonder whether you might
>be remembering the typical formations of principal parts with their
>tense-stems included, since the -S- of the future and of the aorist, and
>the -K- of the perfect and pluperfect are not really parts of the ending
>but of the tense-stem.

No, this was how we learned our verb cases--I mean "tenses." <g>

I know it's not morphologically correct, but when you lay it out on a sheet
of paper, the patterns actually make *some* sense: (tabs used in the
following table, sorry if it scrambles)

1st-sing-act-ind 2nd-sing-act-ind 3rd-sing-act-ind
   --W --EIS --EI
E--ON E--ES E--E
   --SW --SEIS --SEI
E--SA E--SAS E--SE
LE--KA LE--KAS LE--KEN
ELE--KEIN ELE--KEIS ELE--KEI

I can think of one thing that--one might argue--would be advantageous.
Since we already knew a little bit about the difference between aorists and
imperfects, etc., we were reading from the Greek text the second week. Of
course, some people are reading from the Greek text the second week ANYWAY.

Perry L. Stepp

Senior Pastor, DeSoto Christian Church
Ph.D. Candidate (ABD), Baylor University
Adjunct Professor, Dallas Christian College
Adjunct Professor, Christ for the Nations Institute

Ripple in still water,
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow.
            (Hunter/Garcia)