[b-greek] Re: Words Classified By Roots

From: Rod Whitacre (rodwhitacre@home.com)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 12:08:17 EDT

> At 06:45 PM 9/7/00 -0700, you wrote:
> >BDAG, the new Bauer, makes reference to etymologies through extensive
> >references to Pierre Chantraine, Dictionnaire Etymologique de al Langue
>
> I'm very curious as to how you know this! Is this from PR blurbs? Or have
> you seen an advance copy/proofs? You haven't seen a published copy yet
have
> you? (I dearly wish you have, for that would mean that it's actually in
> print now!)
>
> Rod

> Rodney J. Decker, Th.D. Baptist Bible Seminary

The page proofs were available at AAR/SBL last November and copies of a few
sample articles were made available at a panel discussion of BDAG which was
held during those meetings. It does actually exist! It is worth the wait!

One of the best new features, in my opinion, is the provision of
descriptions of the meanings of words and not just an English translation.
One of the speakers at the panel was Eugene Nida and when Fred Danker spoke
at the end of the panel presentation he thanked Nida for making available
the material in Louw and Nida for incorporation into BDAG.

A variety of fonts are used which make the articles much easier to use.
Professor Danker told me that the complexity of the fonts was one of the
reasons for the delay.

Another sign that it exists is the notice Chicago Press has sent out to
those who have preordered. The price will now be $85 rather than $65.

Rod

The Rev. Dr. Rodney A. Whitacre
Professor of Biblical Studies
Trinity Episcopal School for Ministry