[b-greek] Re: Rom.1:5: hUPAKOH PISTEWS

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 09 2000 - 08:23:02 EDT

At 2:41 PM -0600 9/8/00, lance w seevers wrote:
>Is faith a person to whom one offers obedience? Dr. Conrad asked this
>question in regard to the objective genitive. I realize the construction
>is different but see Acts 6:7-
>KAI O LOGOS TOU QEOU HUXANEN KAI EPLHQUNETO hO APIQMOS TWN MAQHTWN EN
>IEROUSALHM SFODRA POLYS TE OXLOS TWN IEREWN hUPHKOUON THi PISTEI
(transliteration slightly amended/emended).

Touche'!! (the postpositive accent is my gesture in the interests of plain
text!)

This IS a little bit bizarre, if one thinks about it a bit. hH PISTIS here
DOES seem to take on (informally?) a sort of personification; it is not so
much, I think, a body of abstract doctrine as it is a "Torah" that
addresses persons individually and in the heart and draws forth from them a
response of submission more than of intellectual assent. It seems to me
that the DAVAR-IHWH in the OT is represented that way and certainly becomes
personified in Hellenistic Jewish literature as SOFIA--and of course, in
John as hO LOGOS.

So I guess that IF Paul in Rom 1:5 was thinking in the same terms, we might
say that "objective genitive" is in fact an appropriate way to understand
hUPAKOH PISTEWS.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu