[b-greek] Re: Manuscript Source for 1 John 5:8

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 19:15:48 EDT

<x-flowed>At 20:05 12/09/00, Theodore H Mann wrote:

>In his Textual Commentary, Metzger mentions that 1 Jn.5:8 is to be found
>as "a variant reading added to a 10th-century manuscript in the Bodleian
>Library at Oxford." Does anyone know the exact identity of this
>manuscript, and how much later the variant was added? I assume this was
>a hand-written entry, yes? Much appreciated.

Ted:
The answer to your query is to be found in Appendix 4 of:
Brown, Raymond E. The Epistles of John. Anchor Bible vol. 30. New York:
Doubleday, 1982.

He lists the eight sources of the Johannine Comma, numbered " according to
the Gregory enumeration " -- sixth in the list is:
221vl a variant reading added to a 10th-century manuscript in the Bodleian
Library at Oxford.

Just as a matter of local pride <g>, first in the list is this:

" 61: The Codex Montfortianus ( Britannicus ) an early sixteenth century
MS. at Trinity College Dublin. This codex was copied from an earlier
Lincoln (Oxford ) Cddex ( 326) that did not have the Comma. Insertions
elsewhere in Montfortian have been retroverted from the Latin "

Regards
Maurice

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie