[b-greek] Re: 1 Pet 5:2

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 14:04:48 EDT

At 10:51 AM -0700 9/14/00, Francisco Orozco wrote:
>List,
>
>In 1 Pet 5:2
>POIMANATE TO EN UMIN POIMNION TOU QEOU EPISKOPOUNTES MH ANAGKASTWS ALL'
>EKOUSIWS MHDE AISCROKERDWS ALLA PROQUMWS...
>
>Is the participle EPISKOPOUNTES a verbal participle of means (by means of)
>indicating the means by which the action of POIMANATE is accomplished?
>
>If not, then what is it?

It's worth noting that there's some question whether the participle
EPISKOPOUNTES really belongs in the passage, but if it does, then it seems
to me implicit that there's an equation of the meaning of the verbs
POIMAINW and EPISKOPEW, so that, if we accept the reading of EPISKOPOUNTES
here, it seems to me to make more sense to understand the participle as one
of MANNER: HOW do you shepherd your flock? You do so not by cracking the
whip but by persuading them to go along willingly, not out of self-interest
but out of zeal to do the task.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu