[b-greek] Re: Acts 13:48 hOSOS

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 07:28:21 EDT

At 11:55 AM +0700 9/15/00, Rafael Zabar wrote:
>Dear Carl and Mark,
>
>Thank you for the explanation. Permit me to digress a bit since I've been
>away that long.
>
>What caught my attention is the word hOSOS which is a correlative pronoun
>and I may infer that the noun referred to is the EQNH in the preceding
>clause? That is, "the Gentiles... were 'in line'... for eternal life" and
>"as many as were...believed"?
>
>From what the context shows concerning the commotion seems to validate
>this opinion? That is, it was now the Gentile's turn to hear the word of
>God, thus it was they, who were 'in line' for eternal life.

I think this is true, but two points of clarification just for the sake of
dotting the I's and crossing the T's:

AKOUONTA DE TA EQNH ECAIRON KAI EDOXAZON TON LOGOU TOU KURIOU KAI
EPISTEUSAN hOSOI HSAN TETAGMENOI EIS ZWHN AIWNION.

(1) Yes, I think that the hOSOI clause has reference back to TA EQNH, and
that the statement in Acts 13:48 does concern Gentiles, BUT

(2) TA EQHN is NOT the antecedent of hOSOI (and I'm not sure you meant to
suggest that, but I wanted to underscore it); rather hOSOI is a
"compressed" pronoun of the sort that includes the antecedent (as when in
English we use a "what" for "that which" or "who" for "he who"--"Who steals
my purse steals trash."). So hOSOI here implies a hOUTOI or EKEINOI that is
the more precise subject of EPISTEUSAN.

So to rephrase your version so as to be less misleading: "And the Gentiles
as they heard were glad and praising the Lord's word, and those who were in
line for eternal life became believers."

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu