[b-greek] Re: born of water

From: Bill Barton (phos@prodigy.net)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 16:28:09 EDT

William Boyd wrote:

WB>In the back of Edersheim's "Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah" is
Appendix XII called "The Baptism of Proselytes." ...(Could someone explain
his references on this to me?)>

Edersheim writes the following:

"As he stepped out of these waters he was considered as 'born anew'--in the
language of the Rabbis, as if he were a 'little child just born' (Yeb. 22a;
48b; 97b), as a 'child of one day' (Mass. Ger. c.2)."

I would say Yeb. refers to Yebamoth ("Sisters in Law") in the Talmud.

In his book under "List of Abbreviations" Edersheim notes that Mass. Ger.
refers to the book Massecheth Sepher Gerim which I would translate as
"Tractate Book of Jewish Proselytes."

BTW this book by Edersheim is on the web at the Christian Classics Ethereal
Library,
http://www.ccel.org/e/edersheim/lifetimes/htm/TOC.htm

Bill Barton