[b-greek] Re: 1Cor 13:6

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 11:51:44 EDT

At 3:00 PM +0000 9/17/00, Mark Wilson wrote:
>Carl:
>
>You wrote:
>
>>In the paraphrase that I did for my daughter's
>>wedding several years ago I converted the Greek text of this verse as:
>>
>> "Loving-kindness isn't pleased
>> when someone gets hurt;
>> what really thrills it
>> is integrity winning out."
>>
>>That might seem hard to justify, but it does seem to me that ALHQEIA here
>>must be intended as an antithesis of ADIKIA.
>

>No justification necessary for me. I like it.
>
>I realize this was a "paraphrase" for a special occasion, but might I ask
>for your thoughts on SUG + CAIREI used at the end of this verse?
>
>What are the implications of CAIREI being contrasted (used in this
>antithesis) with SUGCAIREI?
>
>Is the thought that when integrity wins out, there will be mutual (SUG)
>joy/thrill?

Yes, fundamentally I think that SUGCAIRW means "share happiness with
someone else." In this instance I'd say that the language ought to be
understood as hO AGAPWN SUGCAIREI TWi ALHQEUONTI (or better. TWi
ALHQEUSANTI): "The one who feels loving-kindness shares the satisfaction
felt by the one who acts with integrity."

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu