[b-greek] Re: Great Divide

From: Mike Sangrey (mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 10:43:20 EDT

Mark Wilson <emory2oo2@hotmail.com> said:
> I sure hope someone will take the time to explain this, because I
> have absolutely no idea what a SPA is, and yet, the FLFA seems
> intuitively obvious.

Take a single book, say Ephesians. Use a translation which enables you
to read rapidly and easily. Read it. The whole thing. Again and
again and again. Keep doing that until you slump back in your chair
and blurt out: "Why, that's amazing. He is saying, "<one sentence goes
in here>".

Then SPA will be completely obvious.

> Is not the larger unit (SPA) the sum total of the sub-units (FLFA)?

No! To quote J. P. Louw:
  "It usually comes as a surprise to learn that there are various levels
  of meaning: word meanings (whether lexical or contextual), phrase
  meanings, sentence meanings, and discourse meanings. The worst comes
  when linguists insist that the meaning of a sentence is not merely the
  sum total of the meanings of the words comprising the sentence and,
  similarly, that discourses are not a matter of sentence meanings
  strung together." Linguistics and New Testament Interpretation,
  Essays on Discourse Analysis, Ed. by David Alan Black.

I suggest to anyone who is interested in understanding this better to
borrow this book and read the 1st chapter by Louw, "Reading a text as
Discourse", part of which is quoted above.

> It seems to me that the only way to reach this "higher level" is to
> climb the "lower level."

When one picks up bricks and places mortar between them what does one
have? Is it just bricks and mortar. No. One has `wall'. Where did
`wall' come from. It wasn't there before. I'm not trying to be cute.
The problem Clayton is addressing is that the FLFA never really builds
the house. Some never even get to the `wall' stage. The other extreme is
the SPA placing the roof in mid-air and saying, "Gosh, what a wonderful
house." There's no support there. Both are needed.

> Mark Wilson (for the SPA type)
> M + a + r + k W + i + l + s + o + n (for the FLFA type)

Exactly! Though you missed the space between the two words. Never miss
the spaces. They indicate relation, too. It's: the units, the relations
between the units which form higher level units, and the prominence of
certain units over others. MEANING is hierarchical.

--
Mike Sangrey
mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us