[b-greek] why "y" and not "u"

From: Eric and Karol-Ann Weiss (eweiss@gte.net)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 19:49:29 EDT

Maybe this has been asked before ... but why in most or many books is
"y" the English transliteration for upsilon, rather than "u". I know
many English words derived from Greek words have a "y" where the Greek
original has upsilon. But why did this scholarly convention develop and
why does it persist? I don't think the omicron-upsilon diphthong is
translitered "oy" (unless you're a Yiddish-speaking Greek scholar!) - so
if it's transliterated as "ou" then why is upsilon by itself
transliterated by "y"?

--
"Eric S. and Karol-Ann Weiss"
http://home1.gte.net/eweiss/index.htm