[b-greek] One subject, two or More verbs

From: Tom Belt (tgbelt@compuserve.com)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 07:37:28 EDT

Hi all-

This is plaintext with no encoding! Let's cross our fingers.

Re: Acts 19.6: ELALOUN TE GLWSSAIS KAI EPROFHTEUON ("They spoke with tongues
and prophesied") [and similarly 10:46: LALOUNTWN GLWSSAIS KAI MEGALUNONTWN
QEON ("...speaking in tongues and extolling God")].

Somebody clue me in here. One subject ("they"), but two verbs (ELALOUN and
EPROFHTEUON in the case of 19.6). How am I to understand what "they" did?
Did each of them both "speak in tongues" and "prophesy"? Did some "speak
with tongues" and some "prophesy"? Since one may represent a group (as in
"The Pharisees asked Jesus..." being understood as "one" asking on behalf of
the rest), may we possibly understand this as meaning only some of those
present either spoke in tongues or prophesied (or both), while some did
nothing? Lastly, on a somewhat different note, what grammar is appealed to
in claiming that "spoke in tongues and prophesied" refer to one and the same
phenomenon.

The whole question revolves around the relationship between a plural subject
("they") and a string of consecutive verbs connected by KAI. Are we
understand that each of those referred to in the subject performed each verb
in the string? Or was the whole involved in a distributive sense (i.e. a
percentage of them spoke in tongues while the rest prophesied)?

Blessings,
Tom