[b-greek] Re: Romans 10:17

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 22:29:48 EDT

<x-flowed>
>Should the literal translation of Romans 10:17 be -

>A-So then faith comes from a report,and the report through a word of
>
>B-So then faith comes from a report,and the report through a word from
>
>C-So then the faith comes from a report,and the report through a word of
>
>D-So then the faith comes from a report,and the report through a word from
>To subscribe, send a message to subscribe-b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu

Steven:

I'll offer this:

APA Therefore,
hH one's (I see the definite article as possessive pronoun)
PISTIS faith
EX derives its origin from, originates from, emerges from
AKOHS what is heard, that which is heard [a (specific) message]
DE in this instance, an untranslated particle
hH AKOH the specific message or report that is heard
DIA which report or message is conveyed through (agency)
hRHMATOS the contents of what is said, the specific words of a message
CRISTOU concerning Christ (Here the specific words are identified)

Putting the above together yields this rather clumsy translation:

Therefore, one's faith has its origin in what is heard,
the thing heard [is] conveyed through a message, namely, [a
message]concerning Christ.

I think the "specific message concerning Christ" would correspond to the
gospel.

I have limited this translation using the dictionary in the back of my UBS,
so it sounds a little awkward to me. Someone more able than myself may
smooth it out, or completely revise it :o )

I suppose some would disagree with all or part of my rendition here. I am
never offended when someone corrects me. That is how I learn.

Thank you,

Mark Wilson

http://profiles.msn.com.