[b-greek] Re: 1 John 5

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 08:56:11 EDT

2 e™n tou/tw– ginw¿skomen o¢ti aÓgapw×men ta» te÷kna touv qeouv, o¢tan to\n
e™ntolai« aujtouv bareiˆai oujk ei™si÷n. 4 o¢ti pa×n to\ gegennhme÷non e™k
touv qeouv nika–× to\n ko/smon: kai« au¢th e™sti«n hJ ni÷kh hJ nikh/sasa
to\n ko/smon, hJ pi÷stiß hJmw×n.

At 1:24 PM +0200 9/22/00, Blahoslav Cicel wrote:
>Hello brothers and friends,
>
>I would like to ask if the following structuring of the text is possible:
>
>1 John 5:3,4
>AUTH GAR ESTIN hH AGAPH TOU QEOU,
> hINA TAS ENTOLAS AUTOU THRWMEN
> - KAI hAI ENTOLAI AUTOU BAREIAI OUK EISIN -
> hOTI PAN TO GEGENNHMENON EK TOU QEOU NIKA TON KOSMON. (or , or ; as you
>like)
>KAI AUTH ESTIN hH NIKH hH NIKHSASA TON KOSMON
> hH PISTIS hHMWN.
>
>It seems to me, that the AUTH ... ESTIN introduces a statement. So there are
>two statements in the passage:
>1. (So) This is the love of God,
> for us to keep (note the Subjunctive) his commandments
> - and his commandments are not hard -
> that everyone born from God ovecomes the world.
>2. (And) This is the victory which overcomes the world
> our faith.

I think that is perfectly intelligible; I'd just note that there's a
subjunctive in the hINA-clause simply because a hINA requires a
subjunctive, BUT in fact that hINA-clause is actually a noun clause, in
apposition to hAUTH, exactly as hH PISTIS hHMWN in 5:5 is a substantive
phrase in appostion to hAUTH heading that clause; I'd formulate the
grammatical structure of 5:3 thus:

hH AGAPH TOU QEOUS hAUTH ESTIN
                   -----
                    hINA TAS ENTOLAS AUTOU THRWMEN

>In the first statment I see a possibility that the logic is as follows:
>
>The love of God causes everyone born from God to overcome the world which
>makes him (her) able to keep God´s commandments.
>
>The second statment explains the base on which the victory is obtained - our
>faith.

The only qualification I'd add to this is that it seems to me that PISTIS
here might better be understood as "faithfulness" than "faith"--at least
insofar as it is defined by "keeping his commandments"--which in Johannine
terms seems generally to be a matter of continuing to exercise AGAPH:
although he speaks of ENTOLAI in the plural, one has the sense that the
Johannine commandment is single and simple (although nigh-unto-impossible
to fulfill): to "love one another as He has loved us."

>One question more to the v.2
>EN TOUTW GINOSKOMEN hOTI AGAPWMEN ...
>
>AGAPWMEN is 3p Pl Active and may be both Indicative and Subjunctive. Is
>there any claer reason to tag it as Indicative (as On Line Bible tags it an
>as it is usualy translated), or it is a case of mere decission?

Yes, it could be either, but here I think it is just Indicative because
it's introduced by a simple hOTI; hOTI AGAPWMEN is a noun clause in
apposition with TOUTWi (or you could say it's the referent of the
demonstrative TOUTWi).

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu